Cooking top round roast beef seems a hard thing to do, but it is easy to cook with the right recipe, technique as well as the ingredients that go with it. The overall experience of cooking top round roast beef is overwhelming. It cooks very easily with the rich flavor and tender meat to eat with vegetables or, you can eat ham-sandwiches that have been filled up by thin slices of roast beef.
This article will provide you the recipes and cooking time of the fall apart top round roast through different methods including a slow cooker, crockpot, instant pot, and dutch oven. You can refer the best way to cook top round roast as per your liking and taste from the post. But before cooking the meat, read below tips to make sure your top round roast is absolutely delicious.
Tips For Making Top Round Roast
- The rub or seasoning is a very important part of making top round roast beef, as the rub will cover the top round roast beef. So, you have to be creative in a way that brings the extra flavor of your beef on the table. You can use any herbs or spices you want, as long as it increases the flavor of your meat.
- Use all the spices in a dried form as it adds a lot of extra flavoring in your recipe. You can also take a bowl and mix all the spices and ingredients with olive oil, that would end up becoming a paste.
- If you are using an oven to make this recipe, then you have to consider changing the temperature of the oven after 15 minutes. It would give beef a crisp surface on the top and moist surface on the inside which would make your beef fall apart while cutting it with the sharp knife. That’s a good sign.
- Don’t go near your beef after you take it outside the oven. Let it rest for 20-30 minutes. If you cut it before 20 minutes, the beef would become dry. You have to wait for some time to get it sliced with a knife.
- The meat temperature is up to you as per your liking of the rareness of the meat. I recommend you to go for the medium-rare roast to experience a great tenderness with the extra juicy flavor of the meat. This pinkish center of the meat would just melt in your mouth.
Recipe Of Top Round Roast Beef
- Top Round Roast beef (3-4 pounds)
- Olive Oil
- Rub (Salt, Pepper, Orange Zest, Coriander, Ginger)
- Preheat your oven to 450 F. Take a rack and fit in a roasting pan.
- Start with rubbing your roast with 1-2 tablespoons of Olive Oil, make sure oil covers all parts of the top round roast.
- Take your simple easy rub made from salt, pepper, orange zest, coriander, ginger. Cover all the parts of meat with the rub nicely and evenly. Sprinkle it more and rub your seasoning all over the roast.
- Put your roast in a rack fitted in a roasting pan, and put that in the oven at 450 F temperature.
- After 15 minutes of cooking in the oven, drop the temperature to 325 F.
- Let it cook for another 60-70 minutes.
- After that, take that roasting pad outside of the oven and check the temperature of the roast with a thermometer. If the thermometer reads temperature between 120 to 140 then your roast is cooked but don’t hurry.
- Let it rest for 20 minutes, you can tent it with a foil so your roast would not get cool.
- Afterward, slice your roast with a knife, and enjoy with other side-dishes.
If you have leftovers of this delicious top round roast then read below tips to know more ways to eat it afterwards.
- For the storage options, you can store this roast in the refrigerator packed up in an airtight container for 4 days but not more than that.
- If you want to use this leftover to somehow fit into your breakfast meal, then you should make a roast beef breakfast bowl. Add some onions, boiled eggs, and hash browns with the meal and your healthful bowl is ready.
- You can use this leftover roast to slice up thick sides of it and use these thick sides to put into sandwiches. Add some veggies, sprinkle some cheese to make this roast beef sandwich wholesome.
There are so many methods on the internet for reheating roast beef, you can try this one:
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Take a baking dish, put your meat leftovers covered with tin foil on it.
- When the oven reaches that temperature, put your baking dish, and turn off the heat.
- Let it rest in the oven for 15 minutes, after that you would find the perfect temperature to use your reheated leftovers.
Check out some of the best camping recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Top Round Roast Slow Cooker Recipe
This is the best recipe that can provide you with the best flavors of this top round roast beef if you have enough time. The slow cooking method brings out the best in food because of the low temperature, it can make your meat mouthwatering as it gets the job done in long hours. If you don’t have a slow cooker, then you can make it in a crockpot. Let’s get you to teach you how to make a top round roast in a slow cooker.
- Top Round Roast (3-4 pounds)
- Olive Oil
- Rub (Salt, Pepper)
- Start with rubbing your roast with 1-2 tablespoons of Olive Oil, make sure oil covers all parts of the top round roast beef.
- Take your simple easy rub made from salt, pepper, and Cover all the parts of meat with the rub nicely and evenly. Sprinkle it more and rub your seasoning all over the roast.
- Take a skillet, pour some olive oil in it and brown all the sides of your roast.
- Then take a slow cooker, simply put that roast in it.
- Use the dutch oven for boiling, beef broth, add tomato paste, red wine, and give it a minute to cook.
- After the mixture of broth is ready, then pour it on the top of the roast in a slow cooker. Now, it’s time to be patient and let it cook for 3-4 hours on high.
- If you have enough time then you can set your slow cooker at low and cook for long 8-9 hours.
- After waiting for 8-9 hours, your fall apart top round roast slow cooker is ready to serve.
Top Round Roast Instant Pot Recipe
There may be times when some guests come to your home unannounced. If you are willing to make top round roast beef in the short notice then the top round roast instant pot is the recipe for people who quickly want to get it done with the roast.
This would not give you the eating experience as slow-cooked meat but you can still enjoy this recipe of beef that gets ready in less than one hour. This beef recipe is with the veggies but you can avoid it if you don’t want to add vegetables.
- Top Round Roast (3 pounds)
- White Onion (Sliced)
- Mushrooms (Sliced)
- Beef Broth
- Garlic (Minced)
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Take your instant pot to add all ingredients, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and mix it properly.
- Then add meat, 1 sliced onion, 2 cups of mushrooms, 2 cups of beef broth, 2 tablespoons of minced garlic, 1 tablespoon of thyme, and 2 tablespoons of honey.
- Seal your pot, and cook on low pressure for 20-25 minutes.
- After that serve your top round roast on a plate and enjoy.
Check out what is bacon aioli? What recipes can be made from it?
Top Round Roast Dutch Oven Recipe
The amazing thing about pot roast is that it changes its flavor and tenderness with different preparation techniques. The top round beef roast made in a slow cooker would have a totally different texture as well as taste as compared to top round roast made in a dutch oven.
Most people prefer to cook these delicious top round cut beef roast in a crockpot or instant pot, but with this recipe of Top round roast dutch oven, you are surely going to change your making techniques of top round roast cut beef. Even I can tell that the best way to cook top round roast beef might be with a dutch oven.
Wondering about how to cook a top round roast in the oven with vegetables? Then this recipe refers to using both, an oven as well as a dutch oven. The vital thing about using a dutch oven is, anyone can use a dutch oven inside the oven. So It can work on the stove as well as in the oven for cooking. What else could you ask for?
With the usage of the crockpot, you must have witnessed that if you are adding vegetables with the meat then you might be disappointed with the results of your vegetables as well as meat. It may get extra crispy which is not recommended to enjoy the tenderness of top round roast beef. Now, let’s just jump right into the recipe of how to cook a top round roast with a dutch oven.
- Top Round Cut Beef
- Olive Oil
- Red Wine
- Beef Broth
- Vegetables (As Per Your Choice)
- Salt & Pepper
- First of all, you have to preheat your oven to 320 F.
- Take your dutch oven and add top round roast beef, sprinkle some salt & pepper, as well as spices.
- Now, pour some olive oil onto the beef but not too much, the heat that oil to medium-high heat, cook the sides of beef for 2-5 minutes until it became brown.
- Time to add vegetables around the top round roast beef, add some garlic for the flavor.
- Now, take a bowl, mix red wine and beef broth nicely and pour it on the meat.
- Take some herb thyme and pinch on the top round roast.
- Cover your dutch oven with the lid and place it in the oven.
- Now, sit back while it cooks for 5 or more hours until you would see fall apart top round roast beef nicely. The main thing is, you have to be patient and let it take its time. The flavor of slow cooking would enhance the eating experience of this top round roast beef.
Love eating sausages? Check out its alternative, brats and cooking brats boiled in beer recipe.
Which is better? Top or bottom round roast?
There is no right answer to which one is better, as the butcher terms are different in each region. As long as you choose tough cuts, as they would surely make a good pot roast. However, I can suggest you use the tougher cut for more flavorful meat. You can always ask locals to get to know more important information about what is going to be the best in your region. Do tell me in the comments what have you ended up using?
We hope that this detailed article solves all your questions on how to cook top round roast beef and recipes for the slow cooker, dutch oven, and instant pot. Do ask us if you have any unanswered questions in the comment section below.
1 thought on “Best Top Round Roast Beef Recipes and Cooking Tips”
I let my roast ( top round ) stand in the refer rapped in a towel ( paper works too ) for 24 to 48 hours when ready too roast remove from refer and let come too room temp at least 1 hour . Rum the roast with 11/2 sticks of butter with what ever herbs you like ( compon butter ) heat oven 475 degrees after 20 min reduce to 300 degrees until temp reaches 125 internal temp ( thermometer required ) let stand 20 to 25 min before slicing . I use a cast iron pan with roast setting on a bead of vegetables