The most interesting part about a Tri Tip roast is that you can prepare it baked in the oven, on the grill, slow cooker, and through many more recipes. Though it affects the cooking time of meat, it’s not about the cooking technique as per se because you can work to make it in any way possible.
Tri tip roast might get chewy and dried out if not marinated for some time. That’s the reason most people may marinate the meat for a longer period to get that extra flavor and tenderness. You can make your tri-tip roast even juicier with the marinating.
This doesn’t mean you can not prepare oven-roasted tri-tip without the marination process. Sure, the marination decreases the tri tip cooking time. However, we have included both recipes to get you around the whole process of how to cook tri tip roast in the oven. Let’s get you started with tri tip steak recipes in the oven that includes marination. First of all, let’s get some information on tri tip roast.
What is Tri Tip Roast?
The name tri-tip came from the triangular cut that comes from the sirloin part of the animal. Most people use this type of meat cut while making BBQs. Some people consider calling this cut as a “Triangle Tip“, or “Santa Maria Steak“, or “Newport Steak“.
Trimmed VS Untrimmed Tri-Tip Roast
- If you ever went to buy tri-tip roast, then you would have probably asked by the butcher if you want a trimmed or untrimmed roast.
- Lots of people end up buying the wrong tri tip roast in the end, because of the lack of knowledge about this.
- If you want to roast tri tip meat then you should buy untrimmed meat. The reason for choosing untrimmed roast is it won’t get dry and chewy after roasting because of the extra fat on top of the roast.
Can you cook tri tip in the oven?
Yes, you can definitely cook roasted tri-tip in the oven by following below recipe.
How to Cook Tri-tip in the Oven?
Wondering how to cook tri-tip in the oven? Then follow the below steps to make delicious and juicy tri-tip roast perfectly.
- Tri-Tip Roast
- Garlic Salt
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Olive Oil
- Dried Oregano
Instructions Of Marinating
- We are making tri tip in the oven with the marination process, so we are going to start with the marination of the tri tip roast.
- Take a bowl, add 2 teaspoons of garlic salt, 2 teaspoons kosher salt, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon dried oregano, if you don’t have oregano you can use parsley.
- Place your tri tip roast on a plate, and mix it with the spice mixture. Make sure all the sides of the roast are equally covered with the rub that you’ve made.
- After that, take a ziplock bag and place the roast inside of the bag. Add 1/4 cup of olive oil unto it, then seal the bag. Massage that bag of meat for some time. Place that bag in the refrigerator. (Make Sure The Ziplock Bag Is Airtight).
- You can leave that bag of meat up to 3 days for marinating, however, the ideal choice of marination time is 8 hours. That doesn’t mean you can not marinate for 1 hour. Keep in mind the longer you marinate this tri tip roast, the better flavor it would give you.
Instructions for Roasted Tri Tip Oven:
- You have to get the meat to your room temperature, so take it out from the fridge and leave it for 20-30 minutes, then you can get on with the procedure of oven-roasted tri tip.
- Take a skillet or a roasting pan, add 2 teaspoons of olive oil in on the pan. Add your meat in that pan. Preheat your oven to 450 F.
- After it reaches that temperature, place that pan in the oven. Cook for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350 F.
- Cook for another 30 minutes until the tri tip roast looks like pink from the center. If you have a thermometer then you can check the inside of the tri tip roast, if the thermometer read temperature between 120-140 F then your roast is probably done.
- Take it outside from the oven, and cover it with tin foil to let it rest for 10-20 minutes, then you can slice it with the sharp knife to enjoy with your friends and family.
How To Cook Grilled Tri Tip Roast?
The ingredients and marination process is the same from the above tri tip recipe, just make sure you trim off the fat from the tri tip roast before putting into the ziplock bag for marination. The decision of trimming would get rid of the fat that could become chewy in the process of grilling. However, you can keep the fat in the oven-roasted tri-tip technique. So, let’s get on with the instructions about how to cook a tri tip roast in the grill.
Instructions of Grilling Tri-Tip Roast:
- You have to get the meat to your room temperature, so take out from the fridge and leave it for 20-30 minutes.
- Set high heat and preheat your grill for 20 minutes.
- Take a plate, and place the roast on it without the marinating, brush some oil on the tri tip roast.
- Now, cook the sides of the meat for 3 minutes until it becomes brown from the sides. Then you can cook the roast on low heat by closing the lid for 30 minutes.
- If you want your roast medium-rare, which is the best option to eat a roast then the temperature of inside should be between 140-150 F, you can check by inserting a thermometer in the roast.
- If the thermometer reads the temperature reads 140-150 F, remove the meat from the grill unto a plate.
- Tent it with tin foil to let it rest for 10-20 minutes, then you can slice it with the sharp knife against the grain.
How To Cook Tri Tip In The Oven Without Marinating?
Well as said above, it’s upto you to decide which is the best way to cook oven roasted tri tip meat. As the difference is mainly based on time and taste, as the marination technique would take more time but it would also give a tastier roast whereas it’s the opposite in this method.
- Tri Tip Roast
- Olive Oil
- Seasoning Salt (You can use the above-prepared mixture of spices)
- Start by preheating the oven to 400 F.
- Take a plate, place your roast on it. Sprinkle salt on the meat, and gently rub all over the tri tip roast.
- Take a roasting pan, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat on medium for until it became hot.
- Then place the roast on to the roasting pan, and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Flip on the other side of the roast, and place your roasting pan in the preheated oven.
- Roast for 20 minutes, and check the inside temperature of the roast with a thermometer.
- Once the inside of the roast hits 130 F, then you can take out the roasting pan from the oven.
- Take a plate, and cover your tri tip roast with tin foil, let it rest for 10-20 minutes.
- Then enjoy this tri tip roast cooked in the oven by cutting with a knife across the grain.
Love meats? Make sure to check out our top round roast cooking guide.
How To Cut Tri Tip Roast After Making?
The simple method of cutting tri tip roast is that you have to follow the grain of the meat. Don’t ruin the meat by slicing it before roasting. Here we’ve attached a photo that can get to know the idea of how to slice tri tip roast. Follow Black Lines For Slices.
What are you waiting for? Cook some yummy tri tip roast from these recipes. We hope that this article would solve all your queries about how to cook tri tip in the oven. However, if you have any questions, do tell us in the comment section below.